Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Our Story



I have couple friends that have posted how they met their husbands and became engaged over the past few weeks and I love hearing people's stories so I thought I would post ours so I could actually remember it someday. This may be boring and long to most but I need to write it down before I am too old to remember everything. Plus I never mentioned our 7th Anniversary which was last month so I guess this can take place of that.

Tyler's family moved into our ward when I was 9 years old and our families quickly became good friends. We would have dinners together and soon started spending more time together. I started having a crush on Tyler that would go in waves for many, many years. He also said it was the same for him. But that was news to me as he did not give off any signals.

We went to different high schools and dated other people. But we always had fun together and our families started taking summer vacations together. I always looked forward to hanging out with them and Tyler or course. Some mutual friends started dating our senior year and so we stated hanging out even more. We hung out a couple times during the summer and then both headed off to the same college. Ricks College. He got there a few weeks early to play football and we ended up running into him when my parents and I got there. We took him to dinner and I remember he wouldn't shut up. He was more talkative than I had even seen him. He said he was just so happy to see a familiar face.

School started and we ended up being in the same ward. Crazy. There are tons of wards there and we end up in the same one! Still nothing happened right away. We did our own thing most of the semester and made new friends and had fun. I really stated liking him more at this point but he was really indifferent so I moved on and of course when I did he started being interested in me! He started hanging out more and more with my friends and our apartment. I even went to his Great-Grandma's house for dinner in Idaho Falls.

We ended up going on a date to a dance with his friends and I knew he wanted to kiss me but I was so nervous because we had known each other for so long so I booked it out of the car without giving him a chance. (I still do that) :) But I finally let him the day before Thanksgiving Break. He didn't go home for Thanksgiving so I had to think about it all week and wonder what he was thinking. But We pretty much started dating from then on. We went home for summer and ended up breaking up for a few weeks. I seriously thought I was going to die. It felt like someone kicked my insides out. I had never felt like that before. We got back together and had a great summer together hanging out and going to the Lake a lot. I left for school in the Fall and he got ready to go on his mission in the winter. He left on Feb.23, 2000.

We wrote his whole mission. Almost every week. I finished Ricks and went to BYU-H. 6 months before he came home I moved to Sacramento and finished my BA and applied to the teaching program. Those 6 months flew by and before I knew it I was going with my Dad to SF to get Tyler from the airport. His parents went to France to get him so it was just us two. It was so great to see him! There was no hugging or touching since he was a missionary still. But we went to dinner at IHOP and then headed home. I headed up to Redding a few days later. The rest is pretty much history. After we spent that weekend together I knew we would be getting married. I told my Mom that I had already forgotten how hard the last 2 years had been and things were just as they should be. Things moved fast from there. We got engaged in Utah about a month later.

We were married on July 12, 2002 in the Oakland Temple. And all those years of having a crush on him and then later years of dating and more waiting were very worth it!!


EDITED: Tyler read this for me and his only comment was: "I forgot we went to IHOP! Mmmmmmm!" That's Tyler.

5 comments:

Chantell said...

Thanks for sharing that, it is so fun to reminise. I never knew the FULL story, very cool! I remember you writing all the time in Hawaii, I'm glad it all worked out :)

Tara Rickards said...

That is such a cute story!! We have a few families that we hang out with all the time. Several of the kids match up and we always tease about how many wedding will come come out of our friendships. I guess there is hope after all! Haha! Beautiful wedding picture, by the way!

Tiffany said...

What a fun post! You forgot the part where we fought over the phone every night wanting to talk to Tyler and Steve!! HA! Remember that trip to Provo where we took pics in front of the MTC when Tyler and Steve were there together?! Good Ol' times huh?!

Karyn said...

I love your story!! Hmm I'm trying to think of the guys I had a crush on when I was 9...... nope don't remember.

Anonymous said...

UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT